For details of the survey refer to:
Douglas Mawson led two expeditions to Cape Denison. The first was the Australasian Antarctic Expedition 1911-14, which aimed to undertake science and exploration. The second involved a brief visit by the British Australian New Zealand Antarctic Research Expeditions in 1931. Most of the material that remains on this site, which is commonly known as Mawson's Huts, relates to the 1911-14 expedition.
The Main Hut, which is comprised of two adjacent buildings, the living hut and the workshop and the magnetograph hut are in relatively good condition, though they need continual maintenance and repair. The absolute magnetic hut and the transit hut are standing ruins. Materials conservation issues include corrosion, corrasion, fungal growth, wind and snow loads, exposure to ultraviolet radiation and the freeze-thaw cycle. The high relative humidity inside Mawson's Hut is problematic both for the structure and the portable artefacts that are housed within it. Many of the portable artefacts are slowly deteriorating and only have a limited lifespan.
Many portable artefacts outside the huts are still in essentially the same locations they were in when Mawson left the site in 1914.
More heritage/archaeological surveys are required for a more complete understanding.
Australian Antarctic Territory — Cultural heritage aspects - Condition of heritage sites and collections
This indicator examines and provides evidence for the overall condition of sites associated with early scientific endeavour and exploration (including Mawson’s Huts, Cape Denison, 1911-14).
Other indicators for this issue:
- AATH-01 Macquarie and Heard Islands — survey of the condition of shipwrecks on or around and sites associated with the sealing industry
- AATH-03 Survey of the condition of scientific research stations established on Macquarie Island
- AATH-04 Survey of he condition of scientific research stations established on Heard Island
- AATH-05 Condition of Scientific research stations - survey of Mawson Station
- AATH-06 Condition of scientific research stations - survey of Wilkes Station
- AATH-07 Condition of scientific research stations - survey of Davis Station
- AATH-08 Survey of condition of collections outside of Australia’s Antarctic Territory
Links to another web site
Links to data in the DRS
Opens a pop-up window