Indicator: AATH-04 Survey of he condition of scientific research stations established on Heard Island
For details of the survey refer to:
- Atlas Cove ANARE Station (Heard Island) - Summary of Structure, condition and relative significance. (Word - 84 KB)
Douglas Mawson visited Heard Island with the British Australian New Zealand Research Expedition in 1929. The first Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions base was established at Atlas Cove in 1947. The station, which consisted of a variety of huts and facilities, supported research. This station was closed in 1955, after the establishment of Mawson Station on the Antarctic continent.
‘In 2000/01 several parts of the Atlas Cove station were removed as they were in an advanced state of decay and were both an environmental and safety hazard. Aside from building foundations, machinery and scattered artefacts, there is only one building that remains standing and largely intact; the 1950 ANARE recreation hut’. (Australian Antarctic Division and Director of Parks, 2005, Draft Heard Island and McDonald Islands Marine Reserve Management Plan, Department of Environment and Heritage, p.93-4).
A considerable amount of disintegrated material that has been deemed to be of minimal cultural significance has been removed from the site over several seasons to enable the rehabilitation of the environment.
More heritage/archaeological surveys are required for a more complete understanding.
Australian Antarctic Territory — Cultural heritage aspects - Condition of heritage sites and collections
This indicator examines and provides evidence for the overall condition of significant heritage sites, structures and artefacts on Heard Island.
Other indicators for this issue:
- AATH-01 Macquarie and Heard Islands — survey of the condition of shipwrecks on or around and sites associated with the sealing industry
- AATH-02 Survey of the condition of Mawson’s Huts, Cape Denison, 1911-14
- AATH-03 Survey of the condition of scientific research stations established on Macquarie Island
- AATH-05 Condition of Scientific research stations - survey of Mawson Station
- AATH-06 Condition of scientific research stations - survey of Wilkes Station
- AATH-07 Condition of scientific research stations - survey of Davis Station
- AATH-08 Survey of condition of collections outside of Australia’s Antarctic Territory
Links to another web site
Links to data in the DRS
Opens a pop-up window