Chris Johnston, Context Pty Ltd
prepared for the 2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee, 2006
In this commentary paper the following terms are used in:
- Cultural heritage place
- this term is shorthand for a place of cultural significance.
- Natural heritage place
- this term is shorthand for a place of natural significance.
- The definitions of place used in the Burra Charter and Natural Heritage Charter apply.
- Heritage value or values
- in this commentary, heritage value or values means the identified values of a place based on the application of stated criteria that are designed to assess its cultural or natural significance. For example, the criteria for the National Heritage List are used to assess the values of the place. The assessed values are then stated in a relation to each relevant criterion.
- Heritage place
- in this commentary paper ‘heritage place’ is shorthand for a place with defined heritage values.
- Heritage register
- refers to statutory and non-statutory lists and inventories of places with heritage values. Generally a ‘register’ contains places that have been assessed against specific criteria and thresholds, whereas ‘lists’ and ‘inventories’ may be more inclusive and less selective.
Other definitions are contained in the body of the paper and are derived from legislation.
Links to another web site
Links to data in the DRS
Opens a pop-up window