Independent report to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Heritage
Beeton RJS (Bob), Buckley Kristal I, Jones Gary J, Morgan Denise, Reichelt Russell E, Trewin Dennis
(2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee), 2006
Links to data
In the following text, there are hyperlinks to indicator documents in the SoE 2006 Data Reporting System. In some cases, hyperlinks are made to indicator documents that are now populated but for which data were unavailable to the committee at the time of writing the report. Links to the Data Reporting System are shown with this symbol
- Letter of transmittal
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Key findings
- 3. Human settlements
- 4. Atmosphere
- 5. Biodiversity
- 6. Coasts and oceans
- 7. Inland waters
- 8. Land
- 9. Natural and cultural heritage
- 10. The Australian Antarctic Territory
- 11. Environmental governance
- 12. Future directions
- List of figures
- List of tables
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Complete report (PDF - 5151 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapters 1 - 3 (PDF - 866 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapter 4 (PDF - 1014 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapters 5 - 6 (PDF - 1185 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapters 7 - 8 (PDF - 829 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapters 9 - 10 (PDF - 722 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Chapters 11 - 12 (PDF - 475 KB)
- Australia State of the Environment 2006 Appendicies and References (PDF - 158 KB)
Order a copy
A printed copy of the report (including a CD-ROM containing the full report and accompanying documents) can be ordered by completing the order form, or by phoning 1800 803 772.
Erratum - 8 May 2007
On pages 4 and 83 of this report, the Collections Council of Australia Ltd is incorrectly referred to as the National Collections Council.
The same reference is incorrect on the web pages http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/2006/publications/report/key-findings.html and http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/2006/publications/report/heritage-4.html.
Australia State of Environment 2006 is the work of many people, starting with the foundations laid by the 1996 and 2001 committees. Expert authors wrote the various commentaries and short reports (see Appendix 2), based on data provided by Commonwealth, state and territory agencies. These sources were used by the 2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee to prepare this report. The Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has provided secretariat support, the web-based product and the Data Reporting System. This system was adapted by DEH from a system that was developed by the Tasmanian Government.
Beeton RJS (Bob), Buckley Kristal I, Jones Gary J, Morgan Denise, Reichelt Russell E, Trewin Dennis (2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee) 2006, Australia State of the Environment 2006, Independent report to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Heritage, Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
This report was prepared by the 2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee and was guided by 8 theme commentaries, 10 integrative commentaries and 33 papers on current and emerging issues. The views it contains are not necessarily those of the Commonwealth or of state and territory Governments. The Commonwealth, which includes the 2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee, does not accept responsibility in respect of any information or advice given in relation to or as a consequence of anything contained herein.
National Library of Australia Cataloguing-in-Publication entry
2006 Australian State of the Environment Committee
Australia State of the Environment 2006
1. Environmental policy - Australia 2. Environmental monitoring - Australia 3. Environmental protection - Australia 4. Environmental management - Australia I. Australia. Department of the Environment and Heritage II. Title
© Commonwealth of Australia 2006
This work is copyright. It may be reproduced for study, research or training purposes subject to the inclusion of an acknowledgment of the source and no commercial usage or sale. Reproduction for purposes other than those above requires written permission from the Commonwealth. Requests concerning reproduction and rights should be addressed to the:
Environment Research and Information Branch
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Links to another web site
Links to data in the DRS
Opens a pop-up window