Che Doering – BAppSc, MAppSc, PhD
Che Doering is a research scientist with the ERISS Environmental Radioactivity program. His background is in environmental radioactivity research and radiation protection, with experience in applying this knowledge to the technical assessment of environmental impact statements for uranium mining projects submitted under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Commonwealth).
Che has previously worked for the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) where he was involved in the development of the Australian National Radiation Dose Register for uranium mining workers and in reviewing methods and models for the assessment of radiation dose rate to non-human biota from radionuclides released to the environment.
Che is also involved in the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Environmental Modelling for Radiation Safety (EMRAS II) programme, participating in working group 4 on biota modelling and working group 5 on developing a wildlife transfer coefficient handbook.
Areas of expertise and research interests
International and national radiation protection guidelines; radiological impact assessment of people and the environment (including non-human biota); environmental distribution and behaviour of beryllium-7
Current key projects
- Monitoring of airborne radon and radionuclides contained in dust in the vicinity of the Ranger uranium mine
- Development of a database that can be used to estimate radionuclide transfer to Northern Australian bushfoods and ingestion doses to members of the public
- Assessment of the success of remediation works at historic uranium mining and milling sites in the South Alligator River valley
- Member of the public radiological assessment at the former Rum Jungle South uranium mine
Doering C, Bollhöfer A, Ryan B, Sellwood J, Fox T & Pfitzner J 2011. Baseline and post-construction radiological conditions at El Sherana airstrip containment, South Alligator River valley, Australia. Internal Report 592, June, Supervising Scientist, Darwin.
Doering C, Ryan B, Bollhöfer A, Sellwood J, Fox T & Pfitzner J 2010. Results of gamma dose rate surveys at remediated, former uranium mining and milling sites in the South Alligator River Valley. Internal Report 586, December, Supervising Scientist, Darwin.
Doering C 2010. Environmental protection: Development of an Australian approach for assessing effects of ionising radiation on non-human species. Technical Report 154, Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency, Yallambie.
Guilfoyle R, Tinker R & Doering C 2010. The Australian National Radiation Dose Register for uranium mining and milling workers. AusIMM Bulletin, Journal of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy No. 3, June, 25–27.
Doering C & Akber R 2008. Describing the annual cyclic behaviour of 7Be concentrations in surface air in Oceania. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 99, 1703–1707.
Doering C & Akber R 2008. Beryllium-7 in near-surface air and deposition at Brisbane, Australia. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 99, 461–467.
Doering C, Akber R & Heijnis H 2006. Vertical distributions of 210Pb excess, 7Be and 137Cs in selected grass covered soils in southeast Queensland, Australia. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 87, 135–147.
More information about SSD publications is available online.
- SSD publications home page
- Supervising Scientist Reports
- Supervising Scientist Annual Report
- Consolidated list of publications by Supervising Scentist Division staff from 1978
- Research at Supervising Scientist Division
- Environmental monitoring at Supervising Scientist Division
- Commercial services at SSD