Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (AuSSI)
The Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (AuSSI) is a partnership of the Australian Government and the states and territories that seeks to support schools and their communities to become sustainable.
AuSSI engages participants in a whole-of-school approach, to explore through real-life learning experiences, improvements in a school's management of resources and facilities including energy, waste, water, biodiversity, landscape design, products and materials. It also addresses associated social and financial issues.
The Initiative's vision is for all Australian schools and their communities to be sustainable. Find out about the key elements and resources involved.
News and events
For news and information about AuSSI in your local area, please visit your state/territory AuSSI website.
Become an AuSSI School
Publications and resources
Books and reports
- Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative: A Partnership Statement for the Australian Government and the states and territories
- Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (AuSSI) - Fact sheet
- Evaluation of operational effectiveness of the Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (AuSSI)
- Evaluation of the governance of the Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative
- Australian Capital Territory students put solar energy into action
- New South Wales school applies energy saving measures in the classroom
- Northern Territory school learns from sustainable land management and Indigenous culture
- Queensland school benefits from outdoor experiences
- South Australian school's ecoclassroom embodies 'learning by doing'
- Tasmanian school looks at sustainable learning beyond the classroom
- Victorian school encourages student leadership
- Western Australian school trains students for sustainable life on the land