About the Graduate Program
The Australian Government Department of the Environment develops and implements national policy, programs and legislation to protect and conserve Australia's environment and heritage and to promote sustainable living within Australia.
Our Graduate Program aims to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to place you in a competitive position within the Department and the Australian Public Service (APS) while having the opportunity to work in a diverse and exciting portfolio.
Group photo of 2011 Graduates
We offer you the opportunity to become a key player in the development and implementation of new policies and programs which could have a nationwide or international impact. Some of the areas we work on include:
- environmental protection and conservation of biodiversity
- natural, built and cultural heritage
- water policy and resources
- marine conservation
- administration of the Australian Antarctic Territory
- environment and protection standards, including green house gas abatement
- the National Waste Policy; and
- sustainability and communities analysis
Photo of 2011 Graduates
Our Department wants you if you can demonstrate:
- leadership potential
- energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- resilience and the ability to embrace and adapt to change
- sound judgment, common sense and the ability to think strategically
- strong people skills and a team focussed approach; and
- excellent presentation and communication skills
Photo of 2011 Graduates
We are particularly interested in disciplines such as:
- environmental / natural resource management
- water management
- public administration
- business; and
The benefits the Graduate program can offer you.
The program consists of a number of key components, including:
- Three work rotations
- Comprehensive learning and development opportunities, including $1000 towards individual development
- One on one mentoring from executive and senior executive staff; and
- The possibility to take part in a number of small field trips, providing you with the opportunity to experience the Department's policies and programs at ground level
Salary and conditions
You will receive a competitive remuneration package, with a starting salary of $55 065 and 15.4% superannuation on top of your salary. Upon successful completion of the program, you will be advanced to the APS 4 level and receive a minimum $67 584.
If you live interstate, you will receive a relocation package of up to $10 000 as you will be required to relocate to Canberra, ACT.
Want to know more?
Our graduate recruitment staff will be attending The Big Meet careers fairs in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane as well as Tertiary to Work in the ACT and would love to talk to you further.
2011 Graduates on a field trip