'One stop shop' for environmental approvals
The Australian Government is committed to delivering a 'one stop shop' for environmental approvals that will accredit state planning systems under national environmental law, to create a single environmental assessment and approval process for nationally protected matters. The one stop shop policy aims to simplify the approvals process for businesses, lead to swifter decisions and improve Australia's investment climate, while maintaining high environmental standards.
On 16 October 2013, the Minister for the Environment, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, announced that the Government had approved the framework for achieving the one stop shop. This includes a three-stage process with each of the willing jurisdictions, comprising:
- signing a Memorandum of Understanding;
- agreement on bilateral assessments and updating any existing agreement with the state; and
- negotiation of approval bilateral agreements within 12 months.
Further information will be made available on this website as work progresses.
Memoranda of Understanding
Memoranda of Understanding have been agreed with all States and Territories:
- Queensland (PDF - 361.58 KB) | (DOCX - 30.19 KB) - 18 October 2013
- New South Wales (PDF - 235.25 KB) | (DOCX - 32.11 KB) - 5 November 2013
- Western Australia (PDF - 2 MB) | (DOCX - 40.75 KB) - 13 December 2013
- Victoria (PDF - 2.06 MB) | (DOC - 85 KB) - 13 December 2013
- Tasmania (PDF - 1.88 MB) | (DOC - 71.5 KB) - 13 December 2013
- South Australia (PDF - 1.98 MB) | (DOCX - 32.78 KB) - 13 December 2013
- Northern Territory (PDF - 1.9 MB) | (DOCX - 31.78 KB) - 13 December 2013
- Australian Capital Territory (PDF - 1.97 MB) | (DOCX - 37.29 KB) - 13 December 2013
Development of bilateral agreements
Progress on bilateral agreements with each State or Territory will be published on the following pages:
- New South Wales
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Australian Capital Territory
Notices of Intent
Notices of intent to develop draft bilateral agreements have been signed with all States and Territories and are published on the individual state pages above.
The notices are also published in the government Gazette and in a daily newspaper that circulates in the state or territory.
Draft bilateral agreements open for public comment
|State/Territory||Deadline for comment|
|South Australia – draft bilateral agreement relating to environmental assessment – Invitation to comment||5pm Monday 17 March 2014|
Finalised bilateral agreements
New assessment bilateral agreements have been agreed with Queensland and New South Wales.
- Commonwealth and New South Wales sign One-Stop Shop Bilateral Agreement - 20 December 2013
- All states and territories sign up for the one-stop shop - 13 December 2013
- 'One stop shop' for environmental approvals one step closer with NSW government support - 5 November 2013
- Federal and Queensland Governments sign up to a One stop shop for environmental approvals - 18 October 2013
- One stop shop approved by Government - 16 October 2013