Hazardous Waste Act permits

Changed format for lodgement of permit applications

Over the coming months, the Department is upgrading its document management, moving towards a fully electronic system. Applicants for permits to import, export or transit hazardous waste will be required to submit all application documents electronically from a date to be advised.

In the meantime, applicants are encouraged to submit applications electronically, in line with the following requirements:

  • Documents should be submitted electronically in pdf format.
  • Documents that require a signature should be scanned and submitted in pdf format. 
  • Individual documents should be no larger than 100 Mb 

Applying for a permit

If you want to export or import hazardous waste, or move it in and out of Australia (transit) and the material is considered a hazardous waste under the Act you must apply for a permit to do so.

There are several types of permits depending on what country the hazardous waste is going to or coming from and there are several different application forms depending on the permit required. Please contact us for further information.

Download the application forms

Contact us

For further information in relation to the international movement of hazardous waste please contact:

Hazardous Waste Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 1800 803 772
Fax: 02 6274 1164
Email: hwa@environment.gov.au

You are welcome to call in and see us by appointment.