Depending on the nature of the heritage values for a particular place, it may be necessary to engage a team of consultants. Heritage consultants may be historians, architects, archaeologists, landscape architects, environmental managers, engineers, planners, and more.
Working with heritage consultants
Ensure that the consultant that you engage has appropriate qualifications and experience in the field for which you are seeking advice. Experience with Commonwealth legislation is also desirable.
It is important to brief the consultant comprehensively and to ensure that they understand and can address any obligations under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The Heritage Management Branch of the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (the Department) can provide advice to assist them.
Heritage experts in your state
The Department does not maintain a register of heritage consultants. State and Territory agencies may provide information about heritage consultants located within their area:
- ACT - ACT Heritage Unit, Tel: (02) 6207 2417
- NSW - The NSW Heritage Office updates its list of heritage consultants on an annual basis. Tel: (02) 9873 8500 or http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/03_index.htm#consultant
- NT - Northern Territory Heritage Conservation Services of the Heritage Advisory Council, Tel: (08) 8924 4142.
- QLD - Cultural Heritage Unit of the Environment Protection Agency, Tel: (07) 3227 6834.
- SA - Heritage Branch of the SA Department for Environment and Heritage, Tel: (08) 8124 4960.
- TAS - Tasmanian Heritage Office of the Department of Tourism, Parks, Heritage and the Arts, Tel: (03) 6233 2037.
- VIC - Heritage Victoria maintains a Directory of Heritage Consultants and Contractors. Tel: (03) 9655 6519 or www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/heritage
- WA - The Heritage Council of Western Australia maintains a directory of heritage consultants. Tel: (08) 6552 4000, Toll Free: 1800 52 4000 or www.stateheritage.wa.gov.au
Some of these agencies may also provide information about specialist trades and services.
Professional organisations provide registers of consultants in a range of disciplines including archaeologists, architects, engineers, historians, interpretation consultants and landscape architects. Inclusion in any register does not imply endorsement of the suitability of any particular consultant/supplier for any particular task.
- Australian Association of Consulting Archaeologists Inc experts in historical, Indigenous Australian, contact and maritime archaeology.
- Royal Australian Institute of Architects maintains the Australian Directory of Architectural Practices which is an extensive database of architectural practices Australia-wide.
- Engineers Australia includes a register of engineers across the range of disciplines.
- Australian Council of Professional Historians Associations Inc maintains a register of consulting historians for most states and territories.
- Interpretation Australia Association includes a register of consultants and suppliers.
- The Australian Institute of Landscape Architects website includes Directories of Landscape Architecture Practices.
- Oral History Association of Australia