Gladstone Bund Wall Review
An Independent Review of the Port of Gladstone was commissioned by the Australian Government in February 2013. Following the review reporting on its findings in 2013 new information has come to light regarding the design and construction of the reclamation bund wall at the Port of Gladstone. On 30 January 2014 the Minister for the Environment the Hon Greg Hunt MP, commissioned an addendum to the independent review so that an independent panel can also examine this latest information.
Independent review panel
Minister Hunt has appointed Dr Andrew Johnson and Ms Anthea Tinney to co-chair the review. Dr Ian Cresswell has been appointed as a member of the panel.
Dr Andrew Johnson is a leader in environment and sustainability-related research at CSIRO and is a member of the International Scientific Advisory Committee of the Great Barrier Reef Foundation.
Ms Anthea Tinney and Dr Ian Cresswell both have previous experience and considerable knowledge regarding the management of the Port of Gladstone.
Terms of reference
The independent panel will:
- examine and report on information relevant to the design and construction and functioning of the outer bund wall of the western basin reclamation area that has become available since the Independent Review reported on its findings;
- provide advice as required to assist with the department's current review of the outer bund wall leak incidents in 2011 and 2012;
- consider the adequacy of monitoring requirements and operations; and
- seek submissions from relevant stakeholders on the design, construction and other matters relating to the subsequent leaking of the bund wall. It is anticipated that the review findings will be finalised by the end of April 2014.
- Extension for Independent Review into Gladstone bund wall - Media release, 17 March 2014
- Independent Review into the Port of Gladstone - Media release, 30 January 2014