Dampier Commonwealth Marine Reserve
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Transitional arrangements for new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate
From the declaration of Commonwealth marine reserves in November 2012 until management plans come into effect in July 2014, transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
|Name||Dampier Commonwealth Marine Reserve|
|Types of zoning||
Major conservation values
- Foraging areas adjacent to important breeding areas for migratory seabirds
- Foraging areas adjacent to important nesting sites for marine turtles
- Includes part of the migratory pathway of the protected humpback whale
- The reserve provides a high level of protection for offshore shelf habitats adjacent to the Dampier Archipelago
- The reserve provides high level protection for the shallow shelf with depths ranging from 15 metres to 70 metres
- Examples of the communities and seafloor habitats of the Northwest Shelf Province provincial bioregion as well as the Pilbara (nearshore) and Pilbara (offshore) meso-scale bioregions