Gifford Commonwealth Marine Reserve
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Until a management plan comes into effect transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
The new Gifford Commonwealth Marine Reserve covers an area of more than 5 800 km2. A management plan will be prepared for the Temperate East Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network and will cover all eight new reserves.
Transitional management arrangements apply until a management plan for the Temperate East Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network is in place.
220–4000 m (approx.)
|Types of zoning||
Habitat Protection Zone (IUCN Category IV)–5829 km2
Major conservation values
- Biologically important areas for protected humpback whales and a number of migratory seabirds
- Examples of the ecosystems of the Lord Howe Province
- Represents seafloor features including: basin, plateau and seamount/guyot (Gifford Tablemount)