Guidelines for first time applicants

  1. You need to decide what you require a banding authority for, and what level you wish to obtain. See the levels of authority. In some cases, people may just want to assist on an A-class banders' project, or others may need to perform research as part of studies at a University. Whatever the case, it is important to know what you want to do before you apply for a banding authority. The steps below outline the process for a C-class bander. Applicants seeking higher levels of authority should read the entire section below and then read the additional guidelines.
  2. Contact an ABBBS Regional Organiser (RO) or Sub-Regional Organiser (SRO) to arrange to discuss banding in more detail and to gain some first hand experience. Sometimes, the ABBBS, RO or SRO may put you in contact with other banders that have more active projects, thus providing better training potential. It is important to note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to make themselves available at times convenient to the A-class bander.
  3. You need to get an A-class bander to agree to act as your supervisor, and preferably at least one other A-class bander to act as an additional trainer and referee.
  4. Fill out an ABBBS application for banding authority form, and have your supervisor sign it.
  5. Send in your application form to the ABBBS at the address listed on the application form.
  6. The ABBBS will then process your application and send you a tax invoice for your payment. The relevant State or Territory Wildlife Authority, as marked on your application form, will be notified in writing of your application to for an ABBBS authority.
  7. In most cases, the State or Territory permit of the supervising A-class bander will cover the C-class banders work, and the ABBBS will issue the authority after a two week waiting period. It is important to note that an ABBBS banding authority does not give approval to trap, band and release wildlife.
  8. If you intend to band in the Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania or Western Australia, the ABBBS will send you a letter asking that you apply for permit from the relevant Wildlife Agency. This permit will give you permission to trap, band and release birds or bats in that State or Territory.
  9. Once you have received your permit, you must notify the ABBBS of the number and date of issue of your permit, or send a photocopy. Please do not send your permit to the ABBBS. You will be required to have it in your possession whilst banding. Your authority cannot be issued until you have notified the ABBBS of your State or Territory Wildlife permit number.
  10. The ABBBS will send you your banding authority, a bird banders manual, and copies of the latest annual report and Flightlines.