Indigenous Water Advisory Committee Meetings
At this meeting the committee provided preliminary advice to the department on:
- A module on Indigenous engagement in water planning being developed jointly with state and territory governments. When approved, the module will supplement the NWI Policy Guidelines for Water Planning and Management.
- The enhanced water reform agenda, being developed by the COAG Standing Council on Environment and Water.
- The national wetlands policy statement, being developed by the Wetlands and Waterbirds Taskforce (a sub-group of the Standing Council on Environment and Water) to enhance cooperation and collaboration on national wetland planning and management in Australia.
Other issues discussed by the committee included:
- Aboriginal water, including considerations in Aboriginal cultural and economic water needs;
- the National Water Account, presented by the Bureau of Meteorology,
- National Water Commission work plan.
The committee also met with the new Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder, Mr David Papps.
A representative from the Office of Water Science presented information on the National Partnership Agreement on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mining Development, the Independent Expert Scientific Committee, and the Australian Government's water resources related research priorities as they relate to coal seam gas and large coal mining activities.
The Indigenous Water Advisory Committee met for the first time in October 2012. In this meeting, discussion focused on the committee's roles and responsibilities and committee operations.