Overview - Doncaster Hill Green Civic Precinct
Manningham City Council
|Funding||$1 500 000|
|Estimated annual savings||
Water: 8 million litres
Located in the metropolitan suburbs of Victoria, the Doncaster Hill Green Civic Precinct project has developed a Sustainability Education Hub. The Sustainability Education Hub incorporates a new state of the art multipurpose community centre, which also houses a regional library.
Linked to key education and building industry institutes, the Sustainability Education Hub provides ongoing opportunities to actively engage the wider community to educate and encourage the uptake of water and energy measures.
Key initiatives of the Doncaster Hill Green Civic Precinct project included:
- introducing water sensitive urban design for
- rain garden bio-retention systems
- rainwater and stormwater harvesting tanks
- innovative rainwater capture system
- water efficient fixtures.
- installing renewable energy generation technology including wind turbines, solar photovoltaic panels and a solar thermal system
- introducing passive building design features for energy efficiency
- the provision of power, heating and cooling from a cogeneration plant and trigeneration absorption chiller and solar air conditioner
- installing greywater and blackwater recycling systems
- installing a building management system including interactive elements for tenant and community training.
Community engagement and education has also been an important element of the project's sustainability initiatives. A sustainability education hub within the MC2 Library was a key element of the Green Precincts Program grant funding and provides community education programs, particularly for local school students, access to online sustainability resources and dedicated spaces for educational seminars.
The sustainability initiatives of MC2 are a leading example for the local and wider community on how we can dramatically and cost-effectively reduce our carbon footprint and work towards a more sustainable future.
- Manningham City Council
- Green Precincts funding for high-profile Victorian projects - media release 14 July 2009