Australia faces major challenges in ensuring sustainable water supply in the face of drying climate and rising demand for water. In response, the Australian Government's initiative, Water for the Future, provides national leadership in water reform for all Australians.
Water for the Future is built on four key priorities:
- Taking action on climate change
- Using water wisely
- Securing water supplies
- Supporting healthy rivers
The Australian Government's Water for the Future priorities will be delivered through a ten-year investment in strategic programs, improved water management arrangements, and a renewed commitment to deliver a range of water policy reforms in both rural and urban areas.
- Water Policies and Programs
- What drives Water reform in Australia
- Community input to Government decisions
- Legislation and Water Reform - The Water Act 2007
- Securing our Water Future - details the roles and responsibilities of Australian Government agencies involved in water reform - 2010
- Water for the Future - Fact sheet - 2009
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.