Adelaide Botanic Gardens
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
About the project:
Project location: Adelaide, South Australia
Funding recipients: SA Department for Environment and Heritage
Total Australian Government funding: $2,935,000 (GST exclusive)
Water savings: up to 100 ML/yr
The construction of stormwater harvesting infrastructure which includes: a treatment wetland; settling and balancing ponds; aquifer injection and extraction bores; and pumps and piping for distribution of harvested and treated stormwater. This project will ensure that the Gardens have access to a secure water supply for irrigation purposes.
The project provides for the construction of: paths and visitor amenities; a boardwalk through the macrophyte wetland zone; tree planting and lawns; visitors' interpretive nodes; and education nodes.
- Construct stormwater harvesting and reuse infrastructure which, once operational, has the capacity to reduce potable water demand of the Botanic Gardens by up to 100 ML/yr by replacing mains supply with treated stormwater.
- Promote the sustainable use of alternative water supplies in the Adelaide urban environment.
- Maintain visual and amenity value of the Gardens.
- Provide education opportunities demonstrating the Garden's role as a leader in sustainable plant and water management in the urban environment.
- Improve planting and landscape design, enhancing the visual and amenity value of this part of the Gardens as a public place, consistent with National Heritage obligations and the Adelaide Park Lands Development Plan.
The project is due for completion by October 2013.
Details of the Adelaide Botanic Gardens Stormwater Harvesting Scheme can be located at: www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/m-wetland-project-launched-for-botanic-gardens/story-e6frea83-1226018339629