Bathurst Water Filtration Plant - Supernatant Recycling Project
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
Total funding: Total project cost of $1.7 million, with funding of $830,100 from the Australian Government under the National Water Security Plan for Cities and Towns and the remaining funding provided by the Bathurst Regional Council.
About the project
Bathurst Regional Council is undertaking a project which aims to maximise water recycling opportunities by upgrading and updating infrastructure at the Bathurst Water Filtration Plant. This project will involve modification of the existing supernatant* outlet from the sludge lagoons. Supernatant and the underdrainage from the lagoons will gravitate into an in-ground well, where two submersible pumps will deliver the wastewater flow back to the Water Filtration Plant inlet mixing tank at a mixing rate of a maximum 10% of the raw water flow rate. The recycled stream will pass through a UV disinfection unit and a flow meter will measure the flow rate of the recycle stream.
* Supernatant is the upper layer of clear water which separates from the sludge once the wastewater has settled in the sludge lagoons.
This project will:
- reduce the water extracted from the Macquarie River to meet the demands of Bathurst residents by 192 million litres each year
- further decrease the low risk of contamination or pollution in local waterways
- provide opportunities to maintain water flows through the use of recycling, improving the Council's capacity to manage and retain its open spaces, and
- offer an opportunity for the education of Bathurst residents on innovative ways in which water security is being achieved in the region.
The project commenced on 10 September 2010 and is scheduled for completion by 30 June 2012.
On 3 February 2012 the Parliamentary Secretary for Sustainability and Urban Water, Senator Don Farrell officially opened the supernatant recycling upgrade at the Bathurst Water Filtration Plant.
- Bathurst water treatment upgrade to save 192 million litres a year – media release 3 February 2012