Water and government
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
How do we ensure the sustainability of our water supplies? What stops people taking as much water as they like and using it how they please?
This key concept addresses the different levels of government and their roles and responsibilities in water planning, regulation and restrictions, sustainable water management, water quality protection and raising public awareness to:
- Maintain the quality and quantity of waterways and drinking water
- Manage sustainable extraction of water such as through issuing permits or allocating environmental flows
- Plan for future water needs
- Balance different community needs and perceptions about water
- Regulate activities which may have an impact on water quantity and quality, such as pollution from business and industry activities through to water restrictions
Use the drop down lists below to search for educational resources on on water and government.