The Australian Government has committed $200 million from Water for the Future to establish the Strengthening Basin Communities program. This program is implemented through two separate components: the Planning component and the Water Saving Initiatives component.
- The Planning component is to provide grants for local governments in the Murray-Darling Basin to assist in community-wide planning for a future with less water.
- The Water Saving Initiatives component is to provide competitive grants to enable local government authorities and urban water service providers to support projects that improve water security by reducing demand on potable water supplies.
Map showing the Murray-Darling Basin boundary overlain with local government boundaries
Who will benefit?
Communities in the Murray-Darling Basin will benefit by understanding the implications associated with climate change on water availability, identifying strategies to adjust to a future with less water and securing water supply through the introduction of water saving initiatives. Local governments in the Murray-Darling Basin have an important role to play in helping their communities understand and plan for the changes that reduced water availability will bring. With this funding they will be better able to plan for change and to identify and implement local water efficiency measures.
- Strengthening Basin Communities - fact sheet
- phone 1800 218 478 (toll free)
- email SBC@environment.gov.au
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.