Riverina Eastern Regional Organisation of Councils
About the project
The Riverina Eastern Regional Organisation of Councils is the lead recipient for a consortium of Council's covering the regions of Gundagai, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Lockhart and Wagga Wagga.
The objective of the project is to consider the impact of climate change on a regional and sub regional basis. Findings will be used to produce LGA specific plans, and recommendations on measures to counter the likely impact of climate change in the region.
The project will have three principle benefits including allowing the:
- identification and mapping of water security impacts caused by climate change across the region;
- identification and mapping of water dependent industries across the participating LGAs; and
- preparation of plans and policies that are specific to each participating LGA.
This project finished in June 2012 and resulted in the production of 20 reports to assist the participating councils:
- identify and assess possible risks to water infrastructure;
- review asset management processes to benchmark current practices and consider possible entry points to integrate climate change in the asset management cycle; and
- better integrate climate change and reduced water availability into the land use and strategic economic development planning processes.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the REROC directly on 02 6931 9050.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.