Southern Downs Regional Council
About the project
Through the Southern Downs Demand Management Initiative, Southern Downs Regional Council will implement a number of system loss management and customer-side demand management initiatives designed to improve water use efficiency and reduce potable water use.
The proposed project aims to provide economic, environmental and social benefits to the Southern Downs region, and the greater Murray-Darling Basin Community. For the region’s residents, these include:
- an opportunity to contribute to the water security of the region;
- better understanding of household usage and ways to identify wastage;
- potential to reduce the cost of water and energy bills;
- fewer water supply interruptions and complaints based on better network management; and
- reduced environmental impacts.
For Council, and the broader Murray-Darling Basin Community, benefits include:
- increased ability to delay the development of significant and additional water supply options;
- increased drought resistance and water supply security for the region; and
- more reliable water supply data and information to enable better water management.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Southern Downs Regional Council directly on 07 4661 0300.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.