On 23 April 2010 funding of $51.7 million from the National Water Security Plan for Cities and Towns was announced for 18 projects in 17 communities to support the COAG Strategy on Water and Wastewater Services in Remote (including Indigenous) Communities.
Objectives of the COAG Strategy are:
- Provide sustainable, secure and safe water supplies and wastewater services;
- Provide a level of service that meets the regulatory standards that would apply to any other community of similar size and location and
- Encourage responsible use of water and, where appropriate, water conservation.
Key elements of the COAG Strategy are:
- Institutional and regulatory arrangements
- Support for service providers and communities
- Service standards
- Ongoing support
- Responsible water use and conservation
- Sustainability of water resources, including impacts of climate change
- Appropriate technology
Remote Communities Projects
- $51.7 million to improve water and wastewater services in 17 indigenous communities - media release 23 April 2010
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.