The Green Precincts Fund was an Australian Government initiative to prepare Australia for a future with less water, and to encourage local communities to better manage their water and energy use for current and future generations.
The Green Precincts Fund's objectives were to support project initiatives that encourage water and energy savings measures at the community level, including:
- raising community awareness about water and energy savings
- encouraging the take-up of water and energy saving measures
- delivering direct environmental benefits at project sites through water and energy efficiency measures
- demonstrating innovation in design and use of water and energy efficiency technology.
Green Precinct Fund projects
Thirteen projects throughout Australia were awarded funding; twelve to complete demonstration sites that encouraged the take-up of water and energy saving measures through community engagement, and one project received funding to undertake a scoping study.
The projects will save an estimated 133 megalitres of water and 8 810 739 kilowatt-hours of energy a year, helping to reduce the burden on potable water supplies, reduce energy use, and annual greenhouse gas emissions.
The Green Precincts Fund is closed and no future funding rounds are planned at this time.
- Download Green precincts map (PDF - 467KB)
|Australian National University||Education Precincts for the Future||$1 032 980||Canberra, ACT|
|Bendigo Regional Institute of TAFE||Charleston Road Campus Redevelopment||$724 289||Bendigo, Victoria|
|Blue Mountains City Council||Blue Mountains Sustainable Precinct||$1 500 000||Blue Mountains, NSW|
|CERES Community Environment Park||Zero Emissions by 2012||$1 150 011||Brunswick, Victoria|
|City of Onkaparinga||Woodcroft Green Precinct - Combined Library and Neighbourhood Centre Demonstration Site||$750 000||Onkaparinga, SA|
|Clean Energy for Eternity||Bega Valley Solar Farm Feasibility Study||$85 067||Bega, NSW|
|Essendon Football Club||Windy Hill Green Precincts Project||$947 727||Essendon, Victoria|
|Launceston City Council||Greening Inveresk Precinct - Towards Water and Energy Sustainability||$788 000||Launceston, Tasmania|
|Manningham City Council||Doncaster Hill Green Civic Precinct||$1 500 000||Doncaster, Victoria|
|Shire of Peppermint Grove||The Grove||$1 500 000||Peppermint Grove, WA|
|Sydney Harbour Federation Trust||Sydney Harbour Green Precincts Project||$861 500||Cockatoo Island & North Head, NSW|
|Sydney Theatre Company||Greening the Wharf||$1 200 000||Walsh Bay, NSW|
|Wide Bay Water Corporation||An Island is not an Island - A Green Precinct in the Great Barrier Reef||$1 180 000||Hervey Bay & Heron Island, Queensland|
- Green Precincts Fund Home
- Australian National University
- Bendigo Regional Institute of TAFE
- Blue Mountains City Council
- CERES Community Environment Park
- City of Onkaparinga
- Clean Energy for Eternity
- Essendon Football Club
- Launceston City Council
- Manningham City Council
- Shire of Peppermint Grove
- Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
- Sydney Theatre Company
- Wide Bay Water Corporation