Water availability and use in the Murray-Darling Basin
The CSIRO has completed a major research project on current and future water availability in the Murray-Darling Basin. The Murray-Darling Basin Sustainable Yields project was funded through the National Water Commission. It included reports on 18 regions and an overall Basin report. All reports are now available:
- Water availability in the Murray-Darling Basin - Full report
- Water availability in the Murray-Darling Basin - Executive summary
- Ovens region
- Namoi (northern New South Wales)
- Gwydir (north-eastern New South Wales)
- Border Rivers (Queensland and northern New South Wales)
- Paroo (Queensland and northern New South Wales)
- Wimmera (Victoria)
- Eastern Mount Lofty Ranges (South Australia)
- Warrego (Queensland and northern New South Wales)
As part of this CSIRO Murray-Darling Basin Sustainable Yields Project, a series of technical reports are being released which combine information from across the Murray-Darling Basin in a basin-wide assessment.
- Sustainable yields project - providing critical information on Australia's current and future water availability
Sustainable levels of water diversions in the Murray-Darling Basin
The Water Act 2007 requires the new Murray-Darling Basin Authority to prepare a Basin Plan. The central element of the Basin Plan will be the introduction of sustainable and integrated diversion limits on groundwater and surface water extraction.
The results of the CSIRO Murray-Darling Basin Sustainable Yields project, together with other information available to the Murray-Darling Basin Authority, are used to develop the new sustainable diversion limits for the Murray-Darling Basin.
Information on existing Cap arrangements
- Audit of Murray-Darling Basin Cap data management systems
- Bulk take-off registry report
- The Cap: providing security for water users and sustainable rivers (PDF - 662 KB)
- Caps on water use
- Independent Audit Group reports on Cap implementation
- Review of the operation of the Cap
- Water Audit Monitoring Report reports on Cap implementation
- Water trading
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.
- Living Murray Initiative
- Meteorological information for primary industry and natural resources management
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority
- National Framework for Improved Groundwater Management in Australia
- National Principles for the Provision of Water for Ecosystems
- National Water Commission
- National Water Initiative
- COAG MDB Environmental Water Recovery report
Before you download
Some documents are available as PDF files. You will need a PDF reader to view PDF files.
List of PDF readers
If you are unable to access a publication, please contact us to organise a suitable alternative format.
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window