Murray Darling Basin Wide
Australian Government Funding: $2,277,918
About the project
The River Reach project explored and trialled the potential of innovative water market contracts (including options contracts) as an alternative to the permanent sale of water entitlements, used as a mechanism for providing water for the environment.
The project has:
- delivered water to the environment without the purchase of permanent entitlements
- investigated the options for water trading between irrigated production and the environment
- piloted a market mechanism and provided a model and framework that may enable the roll out of water exchanges to trade water
- built awareness and the institutional capacity of the environmental water purchasers to engage in an options market.
The project is now complete and the independent reviews of the project are available below.
- River Reach: Interim Evaluation Report (PDF - 149 KB)
- River Reach: Evaluation of Phase Two - Extension Phase (PDF - 308 KB)
Water Smart Australia projects are funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.