Monitoring River Health Report Number 20
Ross Bannister - WATER ECOscience Pty Ltd
Department of the Environment and Heritage, 2004
ISBN 0 642 55053 0 ISSN 1447-1280
- National River Health Program: AusRivAS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Project (PDF - 247 KB)
- National River Health Program: AusRivAS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Project - Appendix B (PDF - 280 KB)
- National River Health Program: AusRivAS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Project - Appendix C (PDF - 215 KB)
- National River Health Program: AusRivAS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Project - Appendix D (PDF - 857 KB)
- National River Health Program: AusRivAS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Project - Appendix E (PDF - 591 KB)
About the report
This study has examined Quality Assurance / Quality Control (QA/QC) issues and procedures associated with the National River Health Program's Australian River Assessment System (known as "AusRivAS"). As the first component of the project, a literature review was undertaken to examine QA/QC methods used overseas and their applicability to AusRivAS. The review concluded that AusRivAS QA/QC is comparable with, or better than, overseas practices; but the level of documentation and application of QA/QC practices need to be more consistent for a national program such as AusRivAS.
The other components of the project were audits of data collection for physico-chemical and habitat variables, and macroinvertebrate sample processing associated with AusRivAS. The value of an external auditing process was previously demonstrated by the initial audit of AusRivAS live-sort procedures undertaken by Humphrey and Thurtell (1996).
This second national audit by WATER ECOscience confirms that each agency's procedures incorporated some elements of good QA/QC practice but there is a need for a more consistent national approach. This would draw on the best of individual practices to provide a comprehensive QA/QC program including training and auditing to ensure that the program is applied across all jurisdictions.