Corner Inlet (including Corner Inlet Ramsar site)
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
About the catchment
The Corner Inlet catchment occupies 600 km2 of the central portion of the South Gippsland drainage basin that surrounds and drains into the Corner Inlet Ramsar site.
The catchment is bounded by the Strzelecki Ranges to the north and incorporates the various river systems between Bruthen River in the east and the Franklin River system in the west, all of which run south into Corner Inlet and the Nooramunga region.
It also includes the section of Wilsons Promontory north-east of Mt Latrobe which discharges to Corner Inlet.
Towns near the catchment boundaries include Foster to the west, Carrajung to the north-east and Woodside to the east.
Values to be protected
- Significant fishing industry, as well as heavy usage for recreational fishing and water based activities.
- Threatened flora of islands of Corner Inlet are of national botanical significance
- Migratory wader population
Water quality issues
- Extensive clearing of the catchment for agricultural and urban development has resulted in excessive nutrient loads to the lakes, extensive annual algal blooms and fish kills.
- The Gippsland lakes are a significant hub for commercial and recreational fishing and recreational water use all of which is threatened by poor water quality.
- Spread of introduced Spartina sp. and dieback of Posidonia beds
Key water quality improvement projects
- Corner Inlet water quality projects
- Corner Inlet Environmental Audit, CSIRO (2005)(PDF - 3,550 KB)
- Ecological Character Descriptions for the Corner Inlet Ramsar site
Key stakeholders / agencies
- West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
- Corner Inlet Steering Committee - including representation from the Australian Government, West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority, South Gippsland Shire Council, GippsDairy, Gippsland Coastal Board, Wellington Shire Council, Parks Victoria, Department of Sustainability and Environment, South Gippsland Landcare Network, Corner Inlet Fisheries Habitat Association, Department of Primary Industries, Yarram Yarram Landcare Network, Environment Protection Authority, South Gippsland Water, Gippsland Ports, HVP Plantations.