Planning for balance: water for food, people and the environment
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
Albury City Council
About the project
Albury City Council is the lead recipient for a consortium of Council's covering the regions of Albury, Corowa, Greater Hume and Urana.
The project will help the four local government organisations of Albury City, Corowa, Greater Hume and Urana in the eastern Murray region of NSW to plan for a future with reduced water. The Council will undertake an assessment of the current status of the region and how it has been shaped by changes in water availability and water policy.
- Stage 1 will consider the socio-economic status, rural land use, water use and the viability of councils.
- Stage 2 will look at possible alternative scenarios and include: trends and drivers of change, water trade, scenario planning and risk assessment.
- Stage 3 will address the question of how to provide sufficient water to industry and communities.
- Robust and insightful assessment of the Council's vulnerability to current and anticipated future changes in water security, communities and economy.
- Help develop plans to capitalise on available water resources and develop an economy and communities that will be sustainable with the quantity, quality and cost of water available to them.
- Position participating Councils with prioritised options for investment in water savings infrastructure.
This project finished in April 2012 and resulted in the production of key strategic responses to the challenge of a restrained water future within the Councils jurisdictions. These strategies when implemented help address the provision of sufficient water for viable industries and communities from two perspectives: growing the supply of fit-for-purpose water; and/or adapting the demand to match expected supply.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Albury City Council directly on 02 6023 8190.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.