Strengthening Central Murray irrigation communities
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
Berrigan Shire Council
About the project
Berrigan Shire Council is the lead recipient for a consortium of Council's covering the regions of Berrigan, Conargo, Deniliquin, Jerilderie, Murray and Wakool.
The project will help six local government organisations in the Central Murray irrigation region of NSW plan for a future with reduced water in the communities. The Council will undertake an assessment of the current status of the region and how it has been shaped by changes in water availability and water policy.
- Stage 1 will consider socio-economic status, rural land use, water use and the viability of councils.
- Stage 2 will look at possible alternative scenarios and include trends and drivers of change, water trade, scenario planning and risk assessment.
- Stage 3 will address the question of how to provide sufficient water to industry and communities.
- Robust and insightful assessment of the Council's vulnerability to current and anticipated future changes in water security, communities and economy.
- Help develop plans to capitalise on available water resources and develop an economy and communities that will be sustainable with the quantity, quality and cost of water available to them.
- Position participating Councils with prioritised options for investment in water savings infrastructure.
- Identify a range of community adaptation options to allow communities to expand their economic base.
This project was completed in May 2012 and enabled the Berrigan Shire Council to identify impacts on the local community of a future with less water. This project culminated in several reports that confirm the processes currently adopted by the individual Councils to aid their local communities to adapt to a future with less water are efficient and cost effective.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Berrigan Shire Council directly on 03 5888 5100.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.