A world with less water: Climate change impacts on councils in the North Eastern Riverina
Coolamon Shire Council
About the project
The Coolamon Shire Council is the lead recipient for a consortium of Council's covering the regions of Coolamon, Bland, Cootamundra, Junee, Temora and the area serviced by the Goldenfields Water County Council.
The objectives of the project are to consider the impact of climate change on a regional and sub regional basis, and to produce Local Government Authority (LGA) specific plans including recommendations as to the possible solutions that can be implemented.
The project will have three principle benefits including allowing the:
- identification and mapping of water security impacts of climate change across the participating LGAs to build a regional picture;
- identification and mapping of water dependent industries across the participating LGAs to build a regional resource; and
- preparation of plans and policies that are specific to each participating LGA.
This project finished in June 2012 and resulted in the production of 21 reports to assist the participating councils:
- identify and assess possible risks to water infrastructure;
- review asset management processes to benchmark current practices and consider possible entry points to integrate climate change in the asset management cycle; and
- better integrate climate change and reduced water availability into the land use and strategic economic development planning processes.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Coolamon Shire Council directly on 02 6930 1800.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.