Cooma-Monaro Shire water availability risk assessment and water savings planning study
About the project
This project will assess the effects of climate change and prepare for reduced water availability. The Council will:
- look at potential climate change effects within the region and Local Government Authority;
- develop planning measures and guidance for decision making and risk assessment frameworks to plan for climate change through existing council planning instruments, asset management, hazard management and regulatory processes; and
- prepare an integrated climate change adaptation and water savings strategy that outlines how Council can adapt to and prepare for these impacts, build resilience and prepare local communities for water shortages into the future.
The project will assist Cooma – Monaro Shire Council to assess the effects of climate change and prepare for reduced water availability. It will ensure that existing and future water demand and water saving initiatives are incorporated into future decision making and policy frameworks.
This project was completed in February 2011 and has enabled the Cooma-Monaro Council to deliver the following documents to assist it manage its water usage in an uncertain future.
- Strategic Analysis and Secure Yield Studies for the communities of Bredbo and Cooma
- Integrated Water Cycle Management Evaluation Study
- Water Quality Management Plan
- Business Community Management Strategy Plan and Emergency Response & Crisis Management Plan
- Water Demand and Conservation Management Plan
- Strategic Business Plan for Water & Wastewater Services
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Cooma-Monaro Council directly on 02 6455 1777.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.