Risks and implications of climate change for the Southern Downs Region
Southern Downs Regional Council
About the project
The project will enable the Southern Downs Regional Council to develop:
- a climate change risk assessment for Council business and assets that will result in a prioritised action plan and a business case for the top priority action;
- a climate change risk assessment that will identify appropriate actions and provide the agricultural sector with a business plan and practical adaptation strategies for change;
- a supply side option analysis report that clearly sets out the benefits and costs of each option to assist Council allocate funds for new infrastructure; and
- a water savings plan with costing and an implementation timeline.
The project will assist Council to manage the risk and implications associated with climate change in the following ways:
- provide increased knowledge to enable Council to be positive, well informed, prepared and show leadership
- ensure the community is better informed and more prepared for change
- assist Council to plan new infrastructure with full knowledge of the true costs and benefits
- help Council budget effectively to bring about a reduction in urban water consumption
This project was finished in March 2012 and resulted in the following plans and risk assessments to assist the Southern Downs Regional Council to manage its community requirements in a future with less water:
- Community Climate Change Risk Assessment and Adaptation Action;
- Council Risk Assessment for Climate Change;
- Community Risk Assessment for Climate Change;
- Water Savings Plan; and
- Landcare Project Business Plan.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Southern Downs Regional Council directly on 07 4661 0300.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.