Adaptation @ the Source - achieving more with less for a sustainable future
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
Towong Shire Council
About the project
The Council will develop through this project, a specific community planning document based on the localised application of the latest scientific data to identify and assess threats and risks to Towong water resources in the face of climate change.
The project will:
- provide an understanding of the key factors impacting on water quantity and quality within the Shire and the significant trends in terms of climate change that could compound these impacts;
- identify and develop a priority list of risks and threats to water quality and quantity;
- provision of information on adaptation options and possible barriers to effective responses to the high priority risks that will enable a clear and prioritised direction across various sectors to effectively build resilience and minimise vulnerability; and
- establish a group of community leaders to assist the broader community in better understanding the impacts associated with climate change and water quality and quantity decline, in conjunction with the adaptation opportunities that exist in order to remain economically sustainable.
The information obtained aims to establish a sustainable approach to ensure the continued supply and improved quality of water and the long term sustainability of the communities in the region and will be fundamental to future decision making.
This project was completed in May 2012 and resulted in the development of the following plans and strategies:
- Bellbridge Masterplan;
- Tallangatta Caravan Park Masterplan and feasibility study;
- Tallangatta Stormwater Harvesting Strategy;
- Towong Recreation Futures Masterplan;
- Towong Waste to Energy feasibility; and
- Corryong Saleyards feasibility study.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Towong Shire Council directly on 02 6071 5100.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.